Venue: Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, North Carolina
Pre-game Coverage: 6:30 PM ET on FOX and Univision
Kickoff: 7:00 PM ET on FOX and Univision
USMNT vs. Trinidad and Tobago
2023 Concacaf Gold Cup Group Stage Game No. 3
July 2, 2023
Bank of America Stadium; Charlotte, N.C.
Pre-Game Coverage: 6:30 p.m. ET on FOX, Univision
Kickoff: 7 p.m. ET on FOX, Univision
Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Trinidad and Tobago: 1-Matt Turner (capt.), 5-Bryan Reynolds, 6-Gianluca Busio, 8-James Sands, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 10-Cristian Roldan, 12-Miles Robinson, 14-Djordje Mihailovic, 15-DeJuan Jones, 17-Alex Zendejas, 20-Jalen Neal
Substitutes: 18-Sean Johnson, 23-Gaga Slonina, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 3-Aaron Long, 4-Matt Miazga, 7-Alan Soñora, 11-Cade Cowell, 13-Jordan Morris, 19-Brandon Vazquez, 21-John Tolkin, 22-Julian Gressel
Not Dressed:16-Aidan Morris
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Cristian Roldan (35), Matt Turner (30), Miles Robinson (23), Jesús Ferreira (21), Gianluca Busio (11), James Sands (11), Djordje Mihailovic (9), Alex Zendejas (6), Jalen Neal (5), Bryan Reynolds (5), DeJuan Jones (4)
- USMNT Starting XI Concacaf Gold Cup Cap Numbers (including this match): Cristian Roldan (13), James Sands (9), Gianluca Busio (8), Matt Turner (8), Miles Robinson (7), Djordje Mihailovic (5), Jesús Ferreira (3), Jalen Neal (3), Alex Zendejas (3), DeJuan Jones (2), Bryan Reynolds (2)
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers in Official Competition (including this match): Matt Turner (25), Cristian Roldan (22), Miles Robinson (20), Jesús Ferreira (12), Gianluca Busio (11), James Sands (10), Djordje Mihailovic (5), Alex Zendejas (5), Jalen Neal (3), Bryan Reynolds (3), DeJuan Jones (2)
- USMNT head coach B.J. Callaghan makes three changes to the lineup from Wednesday’s game against St. Kitts and Nevis, inserting goalkeeper Matt Turner, defender Miles Robinson and forward Cristian Roldan
- With an average age of 24 years, 131 days, tonight’s lineup is the USMNT’s fifth youngest in Gold Cup history.
- The lineup averages 14 caps overall and 10 appearances in official competition.
- Captaining the side for the second time, Matt Turner becomes the seventh USMNT goalkeeper to reach 30 appearances. The 29-year-old also makes his 25th appearance in official competition, moving past Tony Meola for fifth among USMNT goalkeepers in competitive appearances.
|USMNT Goalkeepers in Official Competition|
|Player||GP / Total Caps||Competitive Record (W-L-D)||SO|
|Tim Howard||68 / 121||39-20-8||29|
|Kasey Keller||67 / 102||38-16-13||34|
|Brad Guzan||34 / 64||19-8-7||15|
|Brad Friedel||32 / 82||15-10-7||11|
|Matt Turner||25 / 30||16-3-5||15|
|Tony Meola||24 / 100||13-7-4||11|
- Defender Miles Robinson returns from injury, making his first appearance since starting the Concacaf Nations League semifinal against Mexico on June 15 in Las Vegas.
- Nineteen-year-old Jalen Neal becomes just the second center back under the age of 20 to start back-to-back matches in official competition. Neal joins Mike Windischmann, who was also 19 when he started three consecutive World Cup qualifiers between May 19 and May 31, 1985.
- Cristian Roldan earns his first start since the 1-0 win against Bosnia-Herzegovina on Dec. 18, 2021.
- James Sands makes his ninth consecutive appearance in the Concacaf Gold Cup. Sands has played in every Gold Cup match dating back to the 2021 tournament opener against Haiti.
- Gianluca Busio gets the start just down the road from his hometown of Greensboro, N.C.
- Djordje Mihailovic starts back-to-back USMNT matches for the first time since his first two caps on Jan. 27 and Feb. 3, 2019 against Panama and Costa Rica, respectively.
- Alan Soñora has a right hamstring strain and will not play tonight, while Aidan Morris has been given permission to depart camp for personal reasons.
- Jesús Ferreira, Miles Robinson and Matt Turner all had big performances in the USA’s last match against Trinidad and Tobago, a 7-0 win on Jan. 31, 2021 in Orlando. Ferreira registered his first two goals and three assists in a U.S. uniform, Robinson also tallied his first international goal, while Turner made his international debut and saved a penalty kick.
- The USA holds a 20-3-4 all-time advantage against Trinidad and Tobago and is 4-0-0 against the Soca Warriors in the Concacaf Gold Cup.
- The USMNT is 39-1-5 all-time in the Gold Cup group stage and 19-0-2 against Caribbean opposition.
- Tonight marks the first time the USMNT has played a match in official competition in North Carolina. The USMNT is 4-1-2 all-time in the Tar Heel State.
- The referee for tonight’s match is Mario Escobar of Guatemala. The USMNT is 1-1-1 in matches officiated by Escobar, including the 1-0 loss to Mexico in the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup Final, the 0-0 draw at Mexico in World Cup qualifying on March 24, 2022 and a 1-0 win against El Salvador in Concacaf Nations League play on March 27, 2023.
- Five substitutions are allowed in three different moments. Halftime does not count as a substitution moment
- Video assistant referee will be used for all matches in the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup.